Sometimes it’s a long day at the office or a challenging day with the family that can trigger feeling stressed. There are so many things in this fast-paced life that can cause feelings of stress and anxiety.
For many, exercise is a great way to relieve stress, but intense, exhausting workouts might not always be the best solution. At times the release of adrenaline and cortisol can make matters worse.
Pilates is about being in the present with your mind and uses intentional, fluid movements of the body to achieve strength and flexibility. With these intentional movements, you will also experience stress relief.
The Benefits That Pilates Has On Reducing Stress
- Teaches Mindfulness. Pilates is an extremely mindful form of exercise. Instead of barreling through high-intensity exercises simple to feel the burn, with Pilates, your focus is executing each movement with intention and awareness. Learning the skill of mindfulness can have a significant impact on your day-to-day life. This will assist you with your focus, staying present and learning to manage seemingly stressful situations with more ease.
- Effective Breathing. Learning to breathe deeply and intentionally creates a calming response all through your body and can become an impressive tool for relieving stress and anxiety. It slows your heart rate, relaxes your muscles, and also lowers blood pressure. Becoming a master of your breathing can also increase oxygen flow to your brain, which triggers the release of feel-good hormones into your body and reduces stress.
- Better Posture. Pilates is designed to strengthen and tone muscles from the center of the body to the limbs. The purpose is to promote strength, alignment and a poised, lifted and balanced body. This will assist in reducing pain and tension and in turn, make you feel less stressed.
- Improved Sleep. Stress and sleep have a two-way relationship. Increased levels of stress can make sleeping more difficult, even leading to sleep disorders. With better breathing, posture and a calmer mind from regular Pilates, sleep quality will also improve. At the same time, getting a restful night's sleep can help reduce the effects of stress. With this extra source of energy, daily tasks and projects become more feasible and less overwhelming.
- Improved strength and confidence. When your body feels strong, you often feel more confident and that confidence can help you handle tough decisions or carry out a task you’ve been putting off. Many times when we’re stressed we put ourselves down, which causes more stress and anxiety. Often, breaking that cycle and doing something that makes you proud, confident and strong will reduce stress levels.
We live in a society where pushing ourselves to the limits is the norm. Having too much on your plate has become daily life. Life keeps demanding us to push to the point where time is limited and stress is inevitable.
The key to handling this lifestyle is being able to manage that stress. Pilates can help manage and even deplete stress all while providing a happy place to escape daily life.